Thursday, March 13, 2014

                                     SHORT TIME vs. LONG TIME


Materials: Bristol paper, Picture Frame, Leaves, Branches

For this project, I was supposed to juxtapose two elements that represented "long-term" and "short term." I was interested in typography so I decided to do something that was related to the change of language. I chose a slang word which was "rad," and that was considered something that was short term since it's a word that is rarely used now. I chose to use leaves and branches as my long term elements since they grow over a long period of time. I cut out a stencil of "rad" and decided to place the leaves and branches in a collage-like way. I found it interesting how I juxtaposed nature and language since branches/sticks were actually used to communicate back in the old times. At first, I wanted to put this in a picture frame because I thought it was aesthetically pleasing to the eye, but now, I think the frame gives off a nostalgic feeling since it's "capturing" a word that was once used quite often. I thought that this project was quite challenging at first because I was having trouble thinking about how to incorporate two different elements together, but in the long run, I thought that this turned out pretty successful. 

No comments:

Post a Comment